5 Leg exercises you can do at your call centre desk
They say sitting is as bad as smoking and if there’s something we typically do a lot of in call centres, it’s sitting down!
Whether it’s being tied to your desk all day taking calls, or handling emails, social media etc a large part of call centre life is spent on your bum.
So to help get you moving we’ve got 5 Leg exercises you can do at your call centre desk to get the blood pumping.
What’s best is that you can do these in between, and sometimes during, calls.
So don on the gym gear, crank up the tunes and get those legs moving!
5 Leg exercises you can do at your call centre desk:
1. Leg Squats
The leg squat is a great all-round exercise for your legs that can easily be done at your call centre desk. Just follow these simple instructions:
- Stand in front of your chair with your feet shoulder width apart
- Slowly lower your arse towards the chair without actually sitting down
- Then keeping your knees over your ankles and your back straight, push your weight through your heels back to a standing position.
Hint: Hold onto the desk if you don’t feel you can keep your balance while you are learning.
2. Leg Calf Raises
Standing next to your call centre desk, you can easily squeeze in some calf raises throughout the day!
- Stand with your legs at shoulder width apart
- Lift as high as you can onto your toes
- Lower back down to a standing position
Hint: For extra difficulty just use a single leg. Try varying the up and down speed to work your muscles differently.
3. Leg Extensions
Chair leg extensions can be done as either a single leg (like in the picture) or both legs at the same time.
- Start in a sitting position
- Slowly extend your right knee and point your toes towards the ceiling. Hold for 2 seconds and lower back to the starting position
- Repeat on the left leg
Hint: Varying the length of time it takes to raise, hold and lower your leg for variety.
4. Thigh squeeze
Take a small ball to work with you that is a bit squishy like a tennis ball.
- Sitting in your chair, hold the ball between your knees and squeeze it for 5 seconds.
- Then relax your legs a little – but don’t drop the ball!
- Repeat 10-15 times.
Hint: vary the ball sizes will work different muscles. Forgot to bring a ball? You can still do it just by squeezing your legs together in the same motion. Also, you can do it standing up!
Lunges are also a great leg exercise that will help whip your legs and backside into great shape!
- Keep your upper body straight, with your shoulders back and relaxed and chin up (pick a point to stare at in front of you so you don’t keep looking down). Always engage your core.
- Step forward with one leg, lowering your hips until both knees are bent at about a 90-degree angle. Make sure your front knee is directly above your ankle, not pushed out too far, and make sure your other knee doesn’t touch the floor. Keep the weight in your heels as you push back up to the starting position.
- Repeat on the other leg
- Aim to do 10 per leg alternating between legs
- Read: 5 Neck and Back exercises you can do in the call centre
- Discover upcoming courses, conferences, networking events and more on our Events Calendar
- Read: More articles on call centre health and wellbeing